Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Party

Crazy week. Bronwyn turned 7 on Tuesday. The Canucks lost the Stanley Cup and Vancouver erupted in riots...again. I won't start ranting about that. Instead...some pictures from Bronwyn's birthday party. It was a lot of work...but fun. I think next year it will be pizza and a movie with a couple of good friends (actually, I said those exact words last year). I did a bit of preparation this time. The party had a dog theme, of course. I made a dog-bone shaped pinata, a dog-boned shaped cake, dog-boned shaped cookies...AND the pin-the-tail-on-the-dog poster. Oh yes, I was one of those mums. But it was all good fun and relatively easy stuff. Unfortunately, it rained on the day (two years in a row) and so we couldn't do some of the outside stuff we had planned. Oh well. Thanks to Emma, Virginia Mae, Gala, Nicky, and Callum for making the party so much fun. Here are some pictures.

First the pinata..shoe box, newspaper, duct tape and paint. It did take a while to break...



The cake was a mixture of "Devil's Food" and "Golden Yellow". I am not sure exactly what flavour "Golden Yellow" is. At first glance it sounds like some kind of fetish thing rather than the description of a cake. Devil's Food is Chocolate as you can tell by the translation into French on the packet. I'm the first to admit my French is bad, but even I know that Chocolat is not the French word for "Devil's Food". At least it describes it though. What flavour exactly is Yellow? It did taste good though.



The careful observer will note that the cake is a beach scene...you got that straight away, I'm sure.  More pics...


The ever-popular "dance-freeze"
 
pin-the-tail-on-the-dog...

Watermelon and candy...the perfect combination

 

The finale...present opening. Phew, almost there.
Unfortunately, Father's Day had to be postponed to a future weekend. Poor Mark! This weekend was too busy and anyway Mark had to work. So we will plan something for the next weekend or so.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Very impressive, you pulled off the perfect kids' party, Martha :-) And Blue Peter would have been proud of your pinata! - tell me you blacked out brand names and used copious amounts of 'sticky-back plastic' in there.

I've got to hand it to you, I would have been stumped at a 'dog party' theme but it looks like great fun. Delicious cake too....devilly and 'yellow'.

Love
Trini
x

Wendy Flawn said...

I love the present opening pic with you on your last legs!! Brings back memories and trepidation of the parties to come with C. They are the thing that childhood memories are made of and will mean a lot to Bronwyn, hope you had a large alcoholic drink at the ready for the moment the back of the last child faded down the pathway!

It looks a fab time, wish I could have been 7 too. Your artistic tallents are endless.

I also love the pic on the previous post with you holding B in that chuffed but dazed state - how clever am I sort of feeling - beautiful and full of memories.

Well done, another pickled (possibly in every way) moment!

Wxx

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday Bronwyn! Time sure does fly! Looks like a wonderful party with all the fixings. What a great mom you are! How lucky she is to have you! You were very creative with a pinata and a homemade dog beach cake...