Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Beware the mob...

It was a scary scene. Crowds of people all gathered in one relatively small area, jostled and knocked against one another. Peace and harmony were purely reliant on a good outcome. There was a noticeable police presence. And of course all the onlookers who just stood around aimlessly taking pictures. Crazy music blared from loudspeakers while average looking people performed lively dances on top of tall platforms. Some spectators walked around in strange costumes talking to people and laughing. Alcohol was involved. Black smoke was rising visibly and everywhere there was the smell of fire and burning...and souvlaki. Yes, Greek Fest 2011: a mass of frustrated drooling proletariat wondering if they will ever, ever get their souvlaki. 100 people line-ups on a hot sunny day. Even regular Vancouverites who would never think of doing anything wrong or stealing stuff or being bad in any way, got caught up in in the tension. There were definitely people (obviously from out-of-town, or "anarchists") trying to jump the queues. A small mob who were set on making trouble, no matter who got souvlaki. You know the type, craftily pushing their way to the front of the line and then, when spotted, "Oh, isn't this the back of the line? Sorry, I didn't see the line-up of a 1000 people...silly me." Of course the hard core instigator looked menacing enough to be allowed his "small mistake". Even I felt the heat. I live a few blocks away, I can go get souvlaki any time I want to...but I don't. Why? Because I don't much care for it. But on THAT day, Greek Fest day, my senses overloaded with the smells and sights of 1000s of skewers of very tasty looking char-grilled chicken pieces, I wanted some souvlaki, godammit, and I wanted it fast! Good job I hadn't brought a lighter and a molotov cocktail along with me 'cos I was ready for a RIOT!

I tried to push River in his stroller through a sea of legs that wouldn't move. I hate crowds at the best of times. It was difficult for me to get us through and people looked at me with angry eyes, as if I had meant to smash their ankles with the stroller. Well, for the record, angry-eyed people, I am a Vancouverite (which if you are up-to-date on local current affairs, is similar to being a "good fairy"), not an out-of-towner intent on causing trouble, so look away and think nicely about me.


With little regard for his own safety, Mike took on the task of braving the lines to get souvlaki. I stayed behind with the kids and waited...and waited...it seemed hopeless. He'd obviously got caught by the mob. Grabbed and forced at skewer-point to dance, arms linked and feet kicking, to crazy Bourzouki music. The kids, bored of jumping on top of the newspaper stands, started swarming around me, whining like massive, prehistoric mosquitoes...I was starting to panic. Soon I was going to smash over stands and start looting. Finally, Mike returned, hands full of souvlaki. And there it was: a few pieces of Greek style barbequed chicken, looking like grilled baby gerbils, wrapped in pitta bread. Quite tasty, I suppose, though I still don't much care for it. But it just goes to show how easy it is to get caught up in the mob mentality. We must be ever vigilant.


Fortunately, the police didn't need to read the riot act or do much of anything...although we left relatively early. Most people walked back and forth eating Greek-style donuts, waited 2 hours for their souvlaki, then went home. Perhaps thinking they'd had a good time. But it could have been a lot worse if those lines had moved more slowly. I don't think we'll go next year.

No comments: