Thursday, January 14, 2010

More of the wet stuff...

Here's a poem about rain by Shel Silverstein.

Rain

I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

Shel Silverstein

It has to be said that this has been a very wet winter so far. It does rain a lot here. No question about that. But I think this is going to be one of those years when it pours and pours. Oppressive black clouds and dark heavy days when you can feel the weight of the moisture in the air. Actually, I don't mind the rain...but even I can get crazy after a few weeks or months of no light and constant dampness. I have to remind myself of a few things I like about the rain.

  •  It keeps everything lush and green
  • Puddle splashing is always fun with the kids
  • I love listening to the rain fall and bounce through the trees when we walk in the endowment lands.
  • Having the beach all to myself (and our dog).
  • Sitting in cafes and coffee shops with steamed up windows
  • Staying indoors and not feeling that I must to go out.
  • Not having to bother to dry my hair
The temperatures are warmer and I like that. There are worries about the mountains. There is a big sporting event taking place in Vancouver this February. You may have heard about it. I am looking forward to April, when said sporting event will be over and done with and Vancouver can get back to normal. Vancouver changed in the last couple of years and not for the better. I am looking forward to the return of a more quietly understated Vancouver. An extremely beautiful place that never felt the need to brag to the rest of Canada and the world that it was the "greatest" place on the planet. But that's just me.

No comments: