Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back to my island...

Time to relax and de-stress. This is the view from my imagination right now. Ahhhh..."Just leave my Mojito on the rock next to my hammock. Yes, beside the Martini is fine, thanks".

The other day I wrote a reminder on a plain piece of paper "**FANS" in capitals with a big star beside it. Mark asked, "What is that for, FANS?". I said, "What? I can't remember." I had no idea. What could it mean? Am I losing my mind?! Of course, like everyone, my first thought was that it was part of some subtle scheme that Mark devised to make me think I am going insane. And, when I finally believe I am mad, then he can get me committed and take all my money! Only, there is no money....or is there? Is there some insurance policy tucked away that I don't know about?

Me: I am going crazy! I don't know what on earth "FANS" means or why I wrote it. I really don't.

Mark: Sit down, take it easy, don't worry...we all do stuff like write things down in block capitals with stars beside them on blank pieces of paper and forget what it is 5 minutes later.

Me: (with a look of hope, trust, belief, blank stupidity), Really? But I seem to do stuff like that a lot...

Mark: No, not really. Only 10 or 12 times a day and most of the time Bronwyn and I manage to catch them before anyone can notice....like when you put the Nutella in the fridge.

Me: Oh my God, did I? It's worse than I thought!

Hmmmm...of course, in reality I don't need Mark to convince me that I'm mad.

Anyway, eventually it dawned on me, like a weary glimmer of sunlight through thick, dark clouds, that "*FANS" meant that I wanted to ask Mark to take down the fan covers in the bathroom ceiling so I could wash them. Why the hell wouldn't I remember something as wonderful as that? But at least I'm not going mad...or am I?

Way back when we were kids we would ask my dad, "Where's mum?" and he'd say, "She went mad so we shot her." We all had a good laugh. It was funny the way he said it. Really. Even mum laughed.

Back to my tropical island.....

No comments: