Saturday, September 19, 2009

afghans and knitty stuff...

Poor River got sick...again. He only just had the flu! All this sickness is wearing us out. We are not normally sick and it gets depressing. I forgot the last time we were all healthy! I hope we can all recover soon.

In the meantime, bear with me while I write some nerdy knitting stuff....so a short while ago I mentioned that I wanted to knit a blanket...or an afghan. I prefer to use blanket. For me, the word afghan conjures up a smelly, scratchy blanket full of dog hairs that squats on the back of the couch, host to the aged germs from every sickness that it ever got wrapped around. We never had one at home so I have no idea why I have that image. (Maybe I found one smothering me as I awoke on someones beer-stained couch one a morning - way back in my misspent youth). Anyhoo...it so happened that I saw this beautiful crocheted granny-square blanket (or afghan) in the yarn store the other week.

Inspired to crochet this blanket, I asked the store what it would cost to make. "Hang on", said the friendly assistant. She checked the pattern and clicked some buttons on a calculator. "$297 before tax", she said in a breezy, sing-songy voice. I tried hard to look like someone who could buy $300 of yarn just like that and said, "Ok. Thanks. Do you have all the colours?

"We have most of them", she replied.

"Damn!" I thought. But then I told myself to stop pretending and said to her that unfortunately, I didn't think I could ever justify paying over $300 for a granny-square blanket...that I made myself. Having said that, I don't actually have $300 so it was an easy decision to make. So then I thought in the interests of thriftiness I would use up my oddments and make a traditional granny square blanket. So I started a couple of squares and used some Hempathy yarn I had left over. Hempathy by Elsebeth Lavold is lovely yarn and I think I may stick with it and get some more. It's quite economical and it's a natural yarn, a mix of cotton, hemp and modal (from the beech tree) with some lovely shades. It won't cost anywhere near $300 - but it's not totally thrifty either. Having said that, I want something I will actually like. I have started some squares and will update on my progress...yes, I know...it will take a while. The colours don't come out so well in this picture.

And, hey, I can always turn it into a dress like Cate Blanchett (I won't add the frilly bottom to mine though). Seriously, Cate...you've got money and an extensive wardrobe...why, why??

I finished a pair of fingerless gloves. These are pretty much instant gratification. The pattern is Fetching from Knitty.com. I'm not sure the point of fingerless gloves...I find my fingers get cold. I do remember that they are good if you have a morning paper-round. And they look quite nice too.

I need to work on making better pictures.

No comments: