Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Books and stuff...

My latest read was Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue. The novel is set in mid-18th century London and in a town on the Welsh border. Slammerkin means a loose gown and a loose woman. The story revolves around Mary, a young girl obsessed with clothes and finery, who falls into a life of prostitution and is unable to find another path for herself. She is a clever, independent and interesting young character. Donoghue's descriptions of life in London are vivid and captivating, as well as educating. The story is inspired by a real murder committed by a 16 year old servant girl that took place in 1763. Donoghue's writing reminds me a little of Sara Walters (except her story is set 100 years early). They both write historical romps that do not pull any punches. (none of the coy "heaving bodices" and "thrusting manhoods" that you find in other historical fiction). Her research is impeccable - although, having said that, how do I know, I wasn't there? I do believe she's done her research as a scholar of 18th century literature. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Just my type of thing for a bit of escapist reading. I will definitely read another one of her novels. Maybe next up...although I do already have a number of books in my "to be read" pile.

I finished reading Clara Callen and I enjoyed it. The story is set during a 5 year period in the 1930's (1934 - 1939) and is told via the correspondence of two sisters and a few others, and through Clara's journal written over the 5-year period. The sisters are aged about 30 when the story begins. Nora, the outgoing, dramatic, ambitious sister has moved to New York to follow a career in radio. Clara, the village schoolteacher, stays at home. The story is told through Clara. She is an interesting character; solitary and strong-minded, intelligent and passionate. Following the death of her father, she is coming to terms with life alone in her small town. One of the most interesting aspects of the novel is the time period in which it is set; war brewing in Europe, the birth of the movie industry, and a beginning shift in attitudes towards sexuality and marriage. I thought the story flowed smoothly and quickly, despite being told in terms of letters and journals. I enjoyed the characters and thought they all had some depth, Clara in particular.

What's next? I am toying with the idea of reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. I've never read it and it keeps popping up on lists of The Greatest Books That Were Ever Written...EVER! I've heard mixed reviews...but I can't really have an opinion until I've at least tried to read it. But then there are so many books and so little time. I'll give it some more thought.

I have started crafting again...kind of. I am getting together on a regular basis with my sister and another friend, Carolyn, to chat and craft. I taught Carolyn to knit! That's Mark, Carolyn and Bronwyn...soon it will be the world...muhahahaha. It's good to get back into some projects.

No comments: