Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Bronwyn turned 10 - Happy Birthday!


Hard to believe that my little girl turned 10 last Saturday! She partied the night away with her friends, Cammi, Gala, Emma...and also Nicky and River.

I have to say, it was way more crazy than I thought it would be! I saw a different side to the kids...as if I was seeing what 10 year olds are like in the 'wild'. They shrieked and giggled and yelled and danced around like mad. I wish I'd got video of their freeze dance game. It was hilarious as they moved and gyrated and tried to imitate what they think of as teenage or cool. Mike and I were very much in the background. In fact, we were hiding in the kitchen, drinking our moonshine and exchanging looks of shock and horror; "Really? these are our little kids!" They know way more than I thought they did! Mike made his oreo/cream cake in the shape of a number 10 and we supplied pizza, disturbingly pink cream soda, and junk food.

I got them t-shirts and fabric paint (will post a pic) and they all decorated their t-shirts. I managed to smudge every t-shirt in my attempts to hang them to try. "Mummmyyy!" said Bronwyn, as I wrecked yet another masterpiece. "Errr...well, a smudged t-shirt is all part of the memory!" I offered...somewhat apologetically.

They tried to watch Grease. Grease was the first movie I ever went to see without my parents. I think I was about 13. If someone had told me that my daughter would choose that same movie for her 10th birthday xx amount of years later (I cannot do math), I would have been amazed. I am amazed! They only got about half way through. The requirements for movie watching; i.e., sitting still, could not be managed and it quickly deteriorated to giggling, poking and inappropriate talk. Every so often I would creep out of the kitchen and say, "Be appropriate"...but mostly I tried to resist doing that. I'm not good at organizing parties - or being trapped with wild 10 year olds...but I think it all went well.

We got Bronwyn a beautiful blue scooter. A little over budget, but I think she'll get a lot of use out of it. (will post a pic).

River was mostly included, which was great. I wondered if part of the added craziness was the simple addition of Nicky; a 10 year old boy in the group. It seem to make a couple of the girls get even sillier in a kind of game of one-up-man ship in saying outrageous things. I could be wrong. Maybe that's what they are like when let lose and jacked up on cream soda and cake. Anyway, they had fun and I think Bronwyn had a good birthday. There were a few occasions when I saw it was a bit much for her. She looked over at me at moments with an exasperation as she tried to rally her friends. It was a responsibility that she's not used to. I was pleased to see we weren't completely forgotten...they still wanted us (as adults) to watch this or that. They haven't completely gone over to the other side...still little kids!

No comments: