Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I want to ride my bicycle...


Last week I got it into my head to ride the approximately 50km from Vancouver to Lighthouse Park and back. I have often gazed across at Lighthouse Park from the Spanish Bank/Arcadia Beach shore and wondered how long it would take to bike there (without thinking that I actually would bike there). But I wanted to do something different on a Sunday, something that would take some time and that would be a to challenge myself. "Bike to Lighthouse Park!" I said to myself. It's far but there are quite a few bike paths...and so on Sunday that is what I did.

Stanley Park

A beautiful crisp and sunny Fall day; the perfect day for a ride. And it was a wonderful ride. It took me about 1hr and 45mins of riding to get there (I stopped for coffee at a cute place called the 'The Bakehouse' in Dunderave, West Vancouver). The most difficult, or arduous, part of the journey was the Stanley Park causeway; a long, slow climb to Lion's Gate Bridge.


On the bridge, heading to West Van
Looking East from Lion's Gate Bridge

The last part of Marine Drive, towards Lighthouse Park, is also a slow climb and a very narrow (sometimes scary) road to cycle. But I made it.

Beautiful trails

I walked through a trail (Arbutus Trail, I think) and found myself at Eagle Point, a perfect place to sit quietly, look out over to Vancouver and rest. It was warm and sunny by this time and so I spent some time sitting and thinking.

A beautiful place to sit with a fabulous view

The ride back took about the same time. It was pretty easy going really, aside from the actual distance. The toughest part of the way back was the climb up the first half of Lion's Gate Bridge, but once I reached the top I could basically free-wheel all the way to the end of Stanley Park. There and back I bike past Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park and along the seawall to the Burrard Street bridge. Most of the route consists of bike lanes and paths, with most of the paths being scenic and well away from the busy roads, which is fabulous and way different than I expected.

Lion's Gate from the West Van. seawall

I was a little sore, but mainly because I slipped on a rock and landed on my hip. As well, yesterday, my "iffy" shoulder (the one I previously had calcified tendonitis in) was acting up and I think it could have been due to the ride. Still, I really enjoyed the ride. Lighthouse Park is so beautiful and such a wonderful place to sit on a sunny day. I felt great to have done the ride. Go me..where to next?!

Heading to Stanley Park and home

No comments: