Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Amazing what you find at the gym.



YouTube video of Chances, by Jill Barber (not sure why it doesn't fit properly into my post...oh well...here's the actual link)

I caught a concert by Jill Barber on Canada Live, CBC Radio 2 the other night while I was struggling to come to terms with my body and it's relationship with gym equipment (they are not the best of friends). Eager for a distraction I listened to the concert. I'm glad that I did. I thought her music sounded very retro cool and I bought her album "Chances" the next day. I think it's actually her fourth album and it was released in 2008...as usual I am late to the party. Anyway, it is definitely going to become a favourite. She has a rich interesting voice and on this album she sings beautifully composed songs with the backing of an orchestra. The arrangements are superb and the album has the refined and classy sound of the 50s and 60s, golden era. Very grown up. And a good reason to dress up and drink martinis.... Highlights for me are the title track, "Chances", "Never Quit Loving You", and "Leaving You". I read that she comes from Halifax, but now lives here in Vancouver. I'm definitely hoping there will be a show that I can go to in the near future!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I listed to Jill Barber, and agree with you, it really is lovely, I think the sound maybe more 50's tho, maybe we may get a chance to see her when I come over, that would be really something wouldn't it? I loved both the music and the lyrics, and got hooked on listening to more of her tracks via the link. Definitely a cd I would buy and listen to, a nice relaxing voice, and I loved the orchestral background, more music please, its great to listen to an artist you have never heard of, and enjoy it.xxx