Thursday, July 9, 2009

Music...

I have just got 3 new albums. Itunes makes it too easy to buy them. But I am very happy because I love all 3 and so I have a lot of new music to listen to. I would thoroughly recommend any or all.

I got Avalanche to Wandering Bear by Valery Gore. A young Canadian musician. Here's a track from the album called Worried Head. She's a little Feist sounding on this track...but there is definitely something different in her voice. I also hear a bit of Cat Power on the slower tracks. But she has a good voice and is very talented. She is also a great piano player and has some interesting piano parts in her songs. I also like the arrangements with the back up instrumentalists. The album has some lovely slow songs and a few upbeat, almost jazz/pop sounding tracks. Overall it is quite original. On first listening I like "Worried Head", "Shoes of Glass" and "Great Lakes"...but it's all good.

I also got Wooden Arms by Patrick Watson, another Canadian musician. This somewhat mellow album has grabbed me from first listen. It's richly textured with original sounds and music. Also he has a lovely voice and writes beautiful lyrical songs. I will definitely buy his previous albums. On first listen my favourite tracks are "Tracy's Waters" and "Beijing". I also like "Down at the Beach" Here is a song from his previous album Close to Paradise, called "The Great Escape"

The third album is called "U" and is by Tujiko Noriko, a Japanese (experimental) musician. Now this album is mellow and perhaps a little eccentric - it is hard to define. However, her music is incredibly rich and full of luscious sounds and layers. Her voice has a distant ethereal quality and her songs are very beautiful. At first listen, I really like, "12 o'clock on the Highway", "Hyouga", and "The Sky and Us, 2 Girls".

No comments: